This Data Privacy Statement sets out the steps we have taken to meet the data privacy requirements as stipulated by Swiss and EU law and other applicable provisions on the collection, storage, use and transfer (“processing”) of personal data.
In this Data Privacy Statement, we describe what we do with your information when you use www.swissmem.ch or other of our websites or our apps, obtain our services or products, otherwise deal with us under a contract, communicate with us or otherwise deal with us. Where appropriate, we will provide you with timely written notice of additional processing activities not mentioned in this Data Privacy Statement. In addition, we may inform you separately about the processing of your data, e.g. in consent forms, contract terms, additional data privacy statements, forms and notices.
If you transmit or disclose data about other persons, e.g. work colleagues, etc., we assume that you are authorised to do so and that this data is correct. By submitting data about third parties, you confirm this. Please also ensure that these third parties have been informed about this data privacy statement.
The Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection (FADP) and, supplementary to it, if applicable, the relevant provisions of the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) apply.
When you visit our website www.swissmem.ch, information is temporarily stored on our server in log files. This is information that the browser on your device sends automatically, notably:
- IP address
- date and time of the request
- time zone difference to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
- content requested (specific page)
- access status / HTTP status code
- the quantity of data transferred
- the web page from which the request was sent
- operating system and its interface
- language and version of the browser software
We process this data for the following purposes
Personal data consists of all the information that relates to an identified or identifiable person. The data subject is a person about whom personal data is processed. Processing includes any operation on personal data, regardless of the means or processes used, in particular the storage, disclosure, procurement, deletion, saving, modification, destruction and use of personal data.
We process the personal data that we require in order to provide our products and services in an effective, user-friendly, sustainable, secure and reliable way.
As a matter of principle, we process personal data only once the data subject has given their consent, unless it is permissible for other reasons, e.g. to fulfil a contract with the data subject and for the respective precontractual measures in order to protect our preponderant justified interests because the processing is evident in the circumstances, or on the basis of preceding information. Within this scope, we process, in particular, information that the data subject transmits themselves when making contact – for example via letter, e-mail, contact form, telephone or social media – and may store these details in a customer relationship management system (CRM), in online shop software or similar.
We only process personal data for the duration required for the respective purpose(s). If we are subject to legal and other obligations requiring us to store data for an extended period, we restrict processing accordingly.
We may outsource the processing of personal data to a third party, domestically or abroad. The provider of this service processes the personal data on our behalf. We make sure that these service providers guarantee adequate data privacy.
We are present on various social media and other online platforms to communicate with existing and prospective customers and to inform them about our products. The General Terms and Conditions (GTC), data privacy policies and other provisions of the respective platform operators apply.
Legal basis for processing personal data
We process personal data in accordance with the Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection (FADP) and other applicable data privacy laws (e.g. GDPR).
Processing of personal data
Swissmem may process personal data in the following situations and for the following purposes:
- Communication: We may process personal data when you contact Swissmem or when Swissmem contacts you. In this case, we usually process name(s) and contact details as well as the content and time of the relevant communications. We may use this data to provide you with information, to process your request and to communicate with you. Messages may also be forwarded within Swissmem,
- Visiting websites, using apps: When you visit our websites, we may automatically collect information such as your browser, the IP address of your computer, your internet service provider, the website from which you linked to our website, the duration of your visit to our website and the type of device you are using (such as a PC, smartphone or tablet and the corresponding operating system). We may then record which pages you have viewed during your visit to our website. This information may be used to improve the functioning of our website, for statistical purposes and as part of system administration. We may also use "cookies". These are small text files that are stored temporarily or permanently on your device when you visit our website. Cookies collect information about the number of visitors to the websites, the pages visited and the time spent on the websites. They are often necessary for the functionality of the website.
- We may also use analytics services provided by external service providers, such as Google Analytics, which is provided by Google LLC (USA). As part of these services, the service provider collects information about the use of the relevant website, but often in a non-personally identifiable form.
- Finally, we may use features of service providers such as Facebook, Instragram, LinkedIn, Xing, etc., which may result in the service provider in question processing data about you. We recommend that you read the privacy statements of these external service providers.
- Use of email: We may use your name and email address to send you notifications, updates, invitations to events and other information by email. However, in order to do so, we will first ask for your consent, unless we have already received your contact details from you elsewhere in connection with our services. If you receive marketing communications from us and you no longer wish to receive them, you can unsubscribe at any time by following the link provided in those emails. We may use external service providers to find out if you open our emails or click on links contained within them. You can prevent this by setting the appropriate preferences in your email client.
- Customer events: When we hold customer events (such as promotional events, sponsorship events, cultural events and sporting events), we may also process personal data. This data may include the name and address of participants or interested parties and, depending on the event, other data such as your date of birth. We may process this information with the purpose of holding customer events, but also to contact you and get to know you better.
- Business partners: Swissmem works with various companies and business partners, such as suppliers, commercial customers of goods and services and service providers (for example IT service providers). We may process personal data about the contact persons of these companies, for example their name, function, title and nationality/residence permit. Depending on the area of activity, we may be required to closely examine the relevant company and/or its employees. If this is the case, we will notify you separately. We may then process personal data about you in order to improve our customer focus, customer satisfaction and customer loyalty ("Customer Relationship Management").
- Administration: We may process personal data for our internal administration. For example, we may process personal data in connection with IT or property management. We may also process personal data for accounting and archiving purposes and generally for reviewing and improving internal processes.
- Protection of rights: In order to protect our rights, we may process personal data in various circumstances, for example, to bring claims in or out of court or to defend claims against us. For example, we may seek clarification of the prospects of litigation or submit documents to a public authority. In addition, public authorities may require us to disclose documents containing personal data.
We process personal data based on the following:
- for the performance of a contract.
- on the basis of legitimate interests. These include, for example, the interest in customer care and communication with customers outside of a contractual relationship, for marketing activities, to get to know our customers and others better, to improve products and services and develop new ones, to fight fraud and prevent and investigate crime, to protect customers, staff and other persons and data, secrets and Swissmem's assets, to ensure IT security, in particular in connection with the use of websites, apps and other IT infrastructure, to secure and organise business processes, including the operation and further development of websites and other systems, to manage and develop Swissmem and in the enforcement of or defence against legal claims.
- on the basis of consent, if this is obtained separately, and
- to comply with legal and regulatory obligations.
Generally, you are under no obligation to disclose personal data to us. However, we need to collect and process certain data in order to enter into and perform a contract, and for other purposes.
Swissmem processes the following categories of personal data specifically:
• Personal data and contact details: This includes particularly, but not conclusively, first and last name, home address, place of residence, telephone number, e-mail address, age, date of birth, gender, marital status, family members, details of any secondary contacts, photo, details of job function, details of prior business correspondence with these persons, details of business transactions, requests, offers, products and services, terms and contracts, details of the person’s professional or other interests;
• Data relating to deliveries and sales as well as orders and purchases: This includes particularly, but not conclusively, payment methods, credit card details and other payment details, invoice and delivery address, products and services delivered and sold or ordered and purchased;
• Data relating to the marketing of products and services: This includes particularly, but not conclusively, details about marketing activities such as newsletter subscriptions, newsletter opt-ins and opt-outs, documents received, invitations and attendance at events and special activities, personal preferences and interests, etc.;
• Data relating to website use: This includes particularly, but not conclusively, the IP address and other identifiers (e.g. social media user name, MAC address of smartphone or computer, cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, local shared objects (Flash cookies) or other technologies that collect personal details in an automated way), date and time of website visit or use, pages and content viewed, referring websites, etc.;
• Data relating to communication: This includes particularly, but not conclusively, the preferred communication channel, correspondence, correspondence language and communication with Swissmem (including communication logs), etc.;
• Data relating to communication: This includes particularly, but not conclusively, the preferred communication channel, correspondence, correspondence language and communication with Swissmem (including communication logs), etc. For its telephone and e-mail services, Swissmem uses Microsoft Exchange Online, which is operated in the Microsoft Azure cloud in Western Europe. The contact details stored are therefore synchronized with the Microsoft Azure Active Directory (AAD) cloud service. The data and information that have to be transmitted to Swissmem in connection with telephone and e-mail services will be treated strictly confidentially. Swissmem uses only the data that is necessary for telephone or e-mail communications. The privacy statements for Microsoft and Microsoft Azure can be found at the following links:
Microsoft privacy statement:
Your data will be transferred to our partners (third parties) as necessary for order processing. If we transfer your data to an external service provider, technical and organizational measures are taken to ensure that the transfer is conducted in accordance with the legal data privacy provisions. If you provide us with personal or business-related data at your own initiative, we will not use, process or transfer it beyond the limitations set out in the law or in a declaration of consent. Furthermore, we will only transfer your data to external service providers if it is necessary for contract execution and if they agree to the relevant provisions of confidentiality and due care. Apart from this, we will only transfer your data if we are legally obliged to do so by an official or judicial order.
One of these uses of cookies is to help us to log frequency of use, the number of users and their behaviours on our website so that we make our website safer to use and the content more user-friendly. These cookies are automatically deleted when you leave the website.
In addition to this, we also use temporary cookies to optimize user-friendliness. These are stored on your device for a fixed duration. When you visit our website again to make use of our services, it automatically recognizes that you have visited before and remembers the information and settings you entered at the time, so that you do not have to enter them again.
You can configure your browser settings so that no cookies are stored on your computer. If you fully deactivate cookies, you may not be able to use the full functionality of our website.
Further information can be found at https://www.cookiebot.com/en/cookie-declaration
Google Analytics: This website uses Google Analytics, a web analysis service provided by Google Inc. ('Google'). Google Analytics uses so-called 'cookies', text files that are stored on your computer and which enable your use of the website to be analyzed. The information generated by the cookie about your use of this website (including your IP address, which is anonymized before being saved using the _anonymizeIp() method so that it can no longer be assigned to a connection) is sent to a Google server in transferred to the USA and stored there. The following data is collected: address and title of the page visited or of files downloaded, screen resolution, browser type, browser version, browser window size, color depth, browser language, Java plugin activated or not, Flash version and information about the Origin. This list can be expanded by Google and only reflects current knowledge about the analysis. Google will use this information to evaluate your use of the website, to compile reports on website activity for website operators and to provide other services related to website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties if required by law or if third parties process this data on behalf of Google. Under no circumstances will Google associate your IP address with other Google data. You can prevent the installation of cookies by setting your browser software accordingly; However, we would like to point out that in this case you may not be able to fully use all of the functions of this website. By using this website, you agree to the processing of the data collected about you by Google in the manner and for the purpose described above.
You can object to the collection of data by Google Analytics with effect for the future by installing a deactivation add-on for your browser (http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=de)."
Jentis: Data is transmitted to JENTIS GmbH for analysis purposes. JENTIS® also independently collects data on our behalf relating to the browser environment or visitor behaviour. JENTIS GmbH only processes data that cannot be traced back by JENTIS GmbH to a person. IDs set by JENTIS® are products of chance and are used for anonymous recognition. Your IP address is truncated before being stored in such a way that there is no personal connection.
The following cookies & pixels are placed on our website by Jentis:
Name of cookie: jctr_sid
Expiry: 30 minutes
Information about the cookie: Storage of the JENTIS session ID.
Name of cookie: jentis.consent.data
Type: HTML, Browser Storage Object
Information about the cookie: Storage of Consent-Vendors and JENTIS Consent-ID settings.
Name of cookie: jentis.core.tracker.rawdata-controller
Type: HTML, Browser Storage Object
Informatione bout the cookie: Storage of the ID-relation between the different collected document types.
Social media plug-in
We use the social media plug-ins listed below on our website to raise the company’s profile. The underlying marketing purpose is regarded as a legitimate interest as set out in Art. 6 para. 1 page 1 (f) GDPR. The respective provider is responsible for ensuring data privacy. When you use these plug-ins, the resulting data processing is done with your consent.
If you use the services of these social networks independently or in connection with our website, the social media networks evaluate your use of the plug-in. In this case, the information is passed to the social networks via the plug-in.
Facebook: Our website uses plug-ins of the social media network Facebook owned by Facebook Inc. The Facebook plug-ins can be recognized by the Facebook logo or the designation “Like” or “Share”. For an overview of the Facebook plug-ins and what they look like, visit developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins.
When you visit a page on our website that contains one of these plug-ins, your browser sets up a direct link to the Facebook servers. The plug-in content is transmitted directly to your browser by Facebook and integrated into the page.
This embedded element notifies Facebook that your browser has visited the relevant page of our website, even if you have no Facebook profile or are not logged into Facebook at the time. This information (including your IP address) is sent directly by your browser to a Facebook server in the USA and stored there.
If you are logged into Facebook, Facebook can directly associate your visit to our website with your Facebook profile. If you interact with the plug-ins, for example by pressing the “Like” button, this information is also sent directly to a Facebook server and stored there. The information is also published on your Facebook profile and shown to your Facebook friends.
The purpose and scope of the collection, further processing and use of the data by Facebook, as well as your rights in relation to it and your optional settings for protecting your privacy can be found in the Facebook data privacy statement: www.facebook.com/policy.php.
Twitter/X: Our website includes plug-ins by micro-blogging site Twitter Inc. The Twitter plug-ins (“Tweet” button) can be recognized by the Twitter logo and the designation “Tweet”. When you visit a page on our website that contains this plug-in, a direct connection is established between your browser and the Twitter server. This notifies Twitter that you have visited our page from your IP address. If you click the Tweet button while you are logged into your Twitter account, you can link the content of our pages to your Twitter profile. This enables Twitter to associate your visit to our website with your user account.
Please note that we as the publishers of the website have no knowledge of the content of the data transmitted or how Twitter uses it. Find out more here twitter.com/privacy.
LinkedIn: Our website features the plug-ins of the social network LinkedIn Corporation, USA. You can recognize the LinkedIn plug-in (“LinkedIn Recommended” button) by the LinkedIn logo. When you visit a page on our website that contains this plug-in, a direct connection is established between your browser and the LinkedIn server. This notifies LinkedIn that you have visited our page from your IP address. If you click the LinkedIn button while you are logged into your LinkedIn account, you can link the content of our pages to your LinkedIn profile. This enables LinkedIn to associate your visit to our website with your user account. Please note that, as the publishers of the website, we have no knowledge of the data content transmitted or how LinkedIn uses it. For more information please visit www.linkedin.com/legal/privacy-policy.
Google Maps: Our website uses Google Maps services (e.g. in-screen or via interfaces / API). Google LLC, USA therefore may process information about your current location. Google uses various technologies to determine location, e.g. IP addresses, GPS and other sensors that may provide Google with information about nearby devices, WLAN access points or cell towers, for example.
The purpose and scope of the collection, further processing and use of the data by Google as well as your rights in relation to it and your optional settings for the protection of your privacy can be found in the Google privacy statement at policies.google.com/privacy.
Newsletter: If you subscribe to the newsletter and confirm that you wish to receive it (double opt-in), we process the following personal details: first name, last name, e-mail address. The data is processed for the purpose of authenticating the subscriber at the time of registration, to send a newsletter to the subscriber and to detect whether and when the subscriber opens individual articles in it.
The data you enter when subscribing to the newsletter is processed by us with the help of Microsoft CRM Dynamics. This data is only processed on the basis of your consent. You can revoke this consent at any time, for instance by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link in the newsletter. Any data processing already done by then remains unaffected by the revocation. When we send newsletters using Microsoft CRM Dynamics, we can tell if a newsletter has been opened and which links were clicked. Microsoft CRM Dynamics enables us to group recipients into various categories. For more information visit: www.microsoft.com/en-gb/trust-center/privacy. If you do not want this analysis to be done, you must unsubscribe from the newsletter.
You can demand to be informed about the data we store about you at any time. To do this, please e-mail a request for information to the address below. Proof of identity must also be sent to this address with the request.
You can demand that we delete or correct your data at any time. You are, of course, also entitled to withdraw any consent you gave for the processing of your personal data at any time with future effect. To do so, please e-mail us at mutationennoSpam@swissmem.ch.
If you no longer wish to receive communications from us (notifications of events or other), please write to us at: mutationennoSpam@swissmem.ch and let us know which communications you no longer wish to receive.
We delete stored data when we no longer require it for the indicated purpose.
With regard to the deletion of data, please note that we are subject to certain legal duties which oblige us to retain specific data for a certain period. We must comply with these duties. If you request us to delete data that is subject to the retention obligation, we will block the data on our system and use it only to meet the legal retention obligation. Once the retention period has expired, we will comply with your request to delete the data.
If your personal data is being processed on the basis of justified interests, you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data provided that there are reasons arising from your special circumstances or because you object to direct marketing. In the latter case, you have a general right to object which we will comply with even if no special circumstances apply.
We will store your data securely and therefore take all reasonable measures to protect your data from loss, access, misuse or changes. Our employees and contract partners who have access to your data are contractually obligated to maintain confidentiality and to observe the data privacy provisions. In many instances, it will be necessary for us to pass on your requests to associated businesses. In these cases too, your data will be handled confidentially.
This Data Privacy Statement applies to data processing by:
+41 (0)44 384 41 11
The Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC)